Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani is a non-vegetarian rice dish made with moderate spices and tender chicken pieces.
The Indian dish is slow cooked to perfection and served as a main course. It is a delectable rice delight that is famous globally for its perfect balance of flavored spices mixed with chicken.
If you are wondering how to make it at home, here is the technique. The two major ingredients involved in this recipe are – Basmati Rice and Chicken, with a handful of spices. The key to cooking Hyderabadi Chicken biryani to perfection is slow cooking technique. Besides, chicken should be marinated with spices to let it release the maximum flavor. The fragrant Hyderabadi Chicken biryani gets ready in no time with little patience and love.
- 1 kg – chicken, cut into medium size pieces
- 1/2 kg – basmati Rice
- 1.5 glasses of water
- 1 tsp – Ginger paste
- 1 tsp – Garlic paste
- 3 – large onions, finely sliced
- 3 – green chillies, chopped
- 1 cup – chopped fresh Mint leaves
- 1 cup – chopped fresh Coriander leaves
- 1 tsp – Red Chilli powder
- 10 strands of Saffron
- 1/2 cup – Milk
- 2 cups – Yoghurt
- 2-3 tbsp – Lemon juice
- 7 – Cloves
- 2 – Bay Leaves
- 5 – green Cardamoms
- 1-inch piece Cinnamon
- 2 tbsp – Ghee
- 3 /4 cup – oil
- Salt to taste
- Grind to a paste:
- 7 – Cloves
- 4 – Cardamoms
- 1/2 inch piece – Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp – whole pepper
How to Make Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani:
- Soak saffron in milk. Keep aside. Heat oil.
- Fry the onions till golden brown in colour. Set aside to cool.
- When cool, grind coarsely and set aside.
- Rub ginger and garlic paste all over the chicken.
- Add red chilli powder, salt, half of the mint and coriander, lemon juice, green chillies, the ground spices, crushed onions, yoghurt and the oil in which the onions were fried.
- Marinate for 2 hours.
- In a heavy-bottomed pan, put the chicken along with the marinade and cook on medium heat until the chicken is tender and the liquid is not fully dried.
- Boil 1.5 glasses of water.
- Add the whole cloves, bay leaves, cardamoms and cinnamon to the water.
- Add salt to taste and the rice.
- Parboil the rice.
- Drain out the water and spread the rice on a plate.
- In a separate heavy-bottomed pan, apply ghee on the bottom.
- Place half the rice in a layer. Cover the layer with the cooked chicken.
- Cover the chicken with the rest of the rice.
- Sprinkle the saffron milk and balance mint and coriander over the rice.
- Pour the ghee all over the rice.
- Seal the pan tightly and cook over slow fire till the rice is fully cooked. Do not overcook the rice.
- Carefully remove the rice to a serving dish without mixing the chicken and the rice. Serve hot.
Hyderabadi Dum Biryani is world famous dish from India, native to Hyderabad. This non-vegetarian delicacy is an authentic Hyderabadi rice preparation which is a meal in itself.
Coupled with flavors of spices delicately combined with rice and chicken makes an aromatic combination that is hard to resist. How to make this Biryani recipe? This rice dish has two major ingredients – chicken and basmati rice. The rest is playing around with ingredients and spice mix to create this flavorful delight.
It is liked by locals and tourists alike in Hyderabad. While people might go all the way to Hyderabad to relish this dish, you can make this in your own kitchen in no time.
- 1 kg – Chicken
- 1 kg – Rice
- 1 bunch – pudina
- 1 bunch – Coriander leaves
- 4 to 5 – Onions
- 3 tbsp – Ginger Garlic paste
- 1.5 tbsp – chilli powder
- 1/2 tbsp – Turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp – Chicken masala
- 2 tbsp – coriander powder
- Whole Garam Masala
- 3 to 4 – biriyani leaves
- 1 cup – Curd
- 2 – Lemon
How to Make Hyderabadi dum biryani:
- Clean the chicken and add chilli powder, coriander powder, ginger garlic paste, salt, turmeric powder, chicken masala, curd and keep aside for about 30 minutes.
- Add enough oil and fry finely chopped onions till golden brown colour.
- Remove from oil.
- Now drop the marinated chicken in that oil and keep it aside.
- Take rice in another vessel, add whole garam masala, biryani leaves, salt and allow it to cook.
- When rice is half cooked, strain it.
- Cook the chicken and add pudina and coriander leaves.
- Add half the boiled rice and fried onions.
- Add remaining rice and onions layer by layer and cover the vessel with a lid (don’t allow pressure to go out). Reduce flame and cook for 40 min.
- Finally, add lime juice mixed with turmeric powder through small holes made in the rice.
- Serve with raita.
1.Sweetened condensed milk 1 can(4 Oz)
2.Evaporated milk 1 can (4 Oz)
3.Full cream milk 4oz
4.Eggs large 4
5.Vanilla essence 1Tspn
6.Sugar 3/4th cup
In this recipe the full cream milk,evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk must be in equal proportion i.e., 4 Oz.
First beat the eggs with a hand blender on medium speed for 2-3 minutes.
Add the sweetened condensed milk,evaporated milk,full cream milk,vanilla essence and about 1/4th cup of sugar.
Using a hand blender beat this mixture for about 2 minutes,till everything gets mixed.Set this aside.
Taking a thick bottomed vessel add about a half cup of sugar and caramelize it.
To caramelize the sugar put the vessel with sugar directly on fire,do not add any water to the sugar.
Keep stirring the sugar,the sugar starts melting,now keep stirring it till the sugar turns to a nice light brown caramel color,dont make the color too dark.
Be very careful when caramelizing the sugar as the temperature of the sugar is very high.
Now transfer this caramel to a Pyrex bowl or any oven proof bowl,and spread the caramel with the help of a spoon.
Now transfer the liquid to the same bowl.
Preheat the oven for 10min at 180 degrees
Now shift this bowl into another same shaped larger bowl (for water bath)
Carefully place both the bowls inside the oven.
Fill the larger empty bowl with boiling water up to half
Seal the bowl with an aluminum foil and bake it at 180 degrees till the pudding gets set.
it may take around 45 mins,it depends from oven to oven.
Now let the pudding settle down at room temperature,later refrigerate and leave it over night to set.
For dishing out,run a knife around the corners of the bowl,and flip the bowl in the dish you want to serve.
Ingredients for Pakora:
1¼ cup Besan (Gram Flour )
1 onion (peel and cut into round thin slices)
¼ tbsp Soda Powder
1 tbsp Red chilli powder
¼ tbsp Turmeric powder
1 tbsp Ginger paste and Garlic paste
Salt to taste
Method for the Pakora:
Peel, wash and slice onions into thin roundels.
In a bowl, add Besan,red chilli powder,turmeric powder, salt, soda powder, mix the dry Ingredients well add water mix to form a thick, smooth batter/smooth consistency.
(Note :Batter should not be very thick)
Add the onions,ginger paste and garlic paste,coriander and mint mix well if need sprinkle little water and mix well again and leave for 5-8 minutes.
Meanwhile in a saucepan add oil at medium heat.
Let it fry until it is golden brown, about 3-5 minutes
Remove from the saucepan with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper